Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Banana bread breakfast muffins- sugar free recipe.


The moment I spot overripe bananas in my fruit bowl, I immediately make a banana bread loaf because it's my favourite cake ever. I also love oats and muffins, so I decided to make a healthy-ish alternative to muffins that I can just grab for breakfast on the go (or eat 3 in one sitting with a cup of tea in front of the tv...). I've been trying to cut out sugar for a while, so I substituted sugar for agave nectar, but you could use caster sugar or honey instead. You could add chocolate chips, sultanas or nuts, basically anything you like, but I prefer them as they are. This recipe is super easy and takes literally minutes to put together. This recipe makes around 10 large muffins. 

You will need:
1/2 cups of flour (I used self-raising but plain will be fine)
1 cup of porridge oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten

A pinch of salt
1/2 cup of milk if using agave nectar or honey. Use 3/4 cup of milk if using sugar
1/3 cup of oil (I used almond but any will do)
1/2 cup of agave nectar/honey/sugar

2-3 small mashed over ripe bananas

1) Preheat your oven to gas mark 6/ 200 °C/ 180 °C fan oven. Line muffin/cupcake tray with cake cases
2) Stir together- oats, flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, mix the beaten egg, milk, oil, sugar or agave/honey and mashed banana together until combined. 
4) Add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together gently until fully combined.
5) Fill your muffin cases and pop into the oven for 13-16 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before popping out your muffins to fully cool- if you can wait that long before you eat half of them- guilty!






Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. They look/sound amazing! I'm definitely going to give this a try!

    Lifestyle & Book Blog: http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read & comment on my blog. I reply to every single one, so make sure you check back xxx