Friday, 26 April 2013

Clinique Even Better foundation


























So today I'm going to be sharing my thoughts on a foundation that I had really high hopes for but was left quite disappointed :( This is the result of a combination of an impulsive payday buy and a pushy shop assistant. I'm sure you've all been there- you've read countless positive reviews, seen Tanya Burr use it and look incredible and hear so many people love it.. then you get it home and you hate it. I was expecting really good things from this foundation and whilst it isn't absolutely awful, it's really not brilliant.

The first thing that I noticed that I didn't like about this foundation was the coverage. For a foundation that is marketed as a medium- full coverage foundation, I found the coverage very low. I would say it's a light to medium coverage but not buildable without going cakey. I started using this when my skin was in quite a bad state after having a really bad experience with La Roche Posay's Effaclar Duo, so admittedly  I had a lot of blemishes to work with. Once my blemishes had cleared up, it looked better on me and looked quite glowing and radiant but not like I was expecting. If I'm honest, I thought my skin looked the same as any foundation would have on first application- nothing special at all.

The application of this product was also disappointing. I saw Tanya Burr apply this in one of her tutorials and it looked lovely. It blended effortlessly into her skin and she looked glowing. I've tried applying this with a flat top foundation brush, Real Techniques Buffing brush, MAC 130 stippling brush and my fingers and have been really disappointed each time. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about the formula that I don't like, but it just blends horribly and feels almost powdery when blended. Considering this is aimed at all skin types, I definitely do not think anyone with dry skin could wear this. My skin is combination- oily t-zone, normal cheeks and dry between my brows and down the bridge of my nose. It clung to dry patches like nothing else and felt impossible to blend on my nose, which really is not that dry at all. I found that if I used quite a moisturising primer and use it when it hasn't fully sunk in, the dry patch problem isn't a too much of an issue.

I found the best way to apply this product was with my fingers as it is almost impossible to blend with a brush. Not because it is thick- the formula is just like a standard foundation thickness. It just didn't sit right on my skin, it looked as if I had powdered loads before I had even applied any powder. That would be fine of course, if I didn't need any powder because my 'natural oils' would have come through making it look okay, but because my skin is oily in some places- it just separated and looked horrendous. 

Some days I can apply this and it looks really nice- it takes quite a while to get right though. If it is blended too much it can look quite strange and vice verse. The major problem for me though is the lasting power of this foundation. I don't even think it lasted 2 hours on my skin before doing a disappearing act in some parts of my face and separating in others- usually where I've powdered like chin etc. I've tried this with every primer I own and it still ends up in the same mess all over my face- really disappointing.

I really dislike writing negative reviews but lets be honest, if us beauty bloggers weren't honest and didn't share our experiences with our readers, everyone would waste their money on products that were not worth it. I've read quite a lot of good reviews on this foundation so it is definitely worth a try- just make sure you pick up a sample before you buy unlike me! I really wish I picked up a sample instead of impulsively buying it on payday. The never ending quest for the perfect foundation continues.. What is your favourite foundation? And what foundation have you been disappointed with?

6 comments:

  1. I ended up recently with a so-called "line smoothing" concealer from Clinique in totally the wrong shade due to a pushy counter lady. No more Clinique after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soo frustrating when they're pushy! It really puts me off going to counters when majority of them are lovely
      x

      Delete
  2. I always buy Clinque stuff with such high hopes and am always left disappointed. I'd much rather read negative reviews though, they're very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first purchase from them and I'm not sure if I would consider any other face products! I agree, if there were no negativity people would waste money!
      x

      Delete
  3. How disappointing, this was on my to-try list xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pick up a sample if you want to give it a try, it could work for you :)
      xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read & comment on my blog. I reply to every single one, so make sure you check back xxx